Saturday, April 14, 2012

When reading the catcher in the rye I both pass judgement on Holden and sympathize with him. I feel as though he has a lot of potential to be kind. He also sees a lot of problems with the world but he goes about making a difference the wrong way. I do not like how he does not seem to care about a lot of things though there are a few that he does, I do not like the fact that he swears so much, that's he smokes or his way of portraying himself.  I feel like when he makes himself seem older than he is  like when he says "I'm a pretty heavy smoker" and  the way he acted around the teachers wife showed me that he had seen many people act like this most likely at his house, but I feel as though he is a bit of a hypocrite  because he continually talks about how he hates "Phonies" yet isn't true to himself.

3 comments:

  1. When I was reading, I also passed judgement on Holden. Many of the things he does he brings on himself. Like you said he has a lot of potential to be a good person, but he just doesn't want to and doesnt apply himself in school. He doesn't seem to care about what he is doing to himself either. I also don't like how he swears so much it tends to get annoying, but seeing the other characters swear a lot makes me think that's how a lot of them just talked back then. When you talk about Holden being kind of a hypocrite I know what you are talking about. He lies a lot and isn't really himself, bur he gets mad at others when they are "phony"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your view of the book and I think we have similar views. He isn't true to himself and he underestimates himself. One thing I was wondering is what you meant when you said "he is making differences the wrong way"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this I completely agree with you. He does swear to much and needs an adjustment in an attitude. I also do feel sorry for him mainly because he doesn't realize how he is putting himself out there. The smoking and judgement goes a little far sometimes. He needs to adjust the way he sees things not only in his perspective but in others perspective also.

    ReplyDelete